Despite the many additional options related to Internet access, the main function of smart TVs is still television broadcasting. Therefore, after purchasing Samsung equipment, users often ask how to watch TV channels on Samsung Smart TV for free. In this material, we will answer this question in detail.
Ways to Watch Free TV Channels on Samsung SmartTV
There are several ways to watch free TV channels on Samsung SmartTVs. As with simple TV receivers, terrestrial digital channels can be tuned through a regular antenna, but if you establish an Internet connection, it becomes possible to download special applications and set up interactive television with much more video content .
If you connect a regular terrestrial antenna or cable TV, you can set up the broadcast of at least twenty free digital channels.
If you use the “smart” functionality of the TV receiver, then, having established access to the Network, from the Samsung Apps store or from other sources, you can download applications for viewing interactive television (IPTV), which provide the ability to view several dozen TV channels, both public and thematic (sports , musical, etc.).
To tune free channels on Samsung Smart TVs, you need to connect an antenna to the device, and then use the auto-tuning function, which will not only find them, but also arrange them in a certain order. On TV receivers of various series, this option is launched differently, since their interface is different: individual sections may be absent or have different names. For example, consider the sequence of actions performed during automatic channel tuning on Samsung SmartTV R series TVs (2019):
- first you need to connect the antenna cable to the input marked “AIR / CABLE” on the back of the TV receiver;
- then you should turn on the device, press “Source” or “Home” (depending on the type of remote control), and then – “Source” and set “TV”;
- the next step is to open the TV panel menu by pressing “Menu” or “Home” on the remote control, and then – “Settings”;
- then you need to go to the “Broadcast” tab, select “Auto-tuning” and “Start”;
- in the “Antenna” section, you will need to select “Antenna” (if the cable comes from a common house or internal antenna) or “Cable” to watch cable TV;
- then you should indicate the “Type of channels” – “Digital”;
- for cable TV in the field “Operator selection” you should mark “Others”, and in the line “Search mode” – “Full”;
- the last step is to click “Scan”, wait for the end of auto-tuning and click “Close” when the process is over.